Saturday, November 26, 2011

Social Surveillance, individual observations of Berlin and mixed media ethnography

I was thinking before about doing drawn visual representations of the social surveillance research portion of the project but I felt like that might be slightly limiting. I'm going to try to incorporate my point of view of the social group as much as I can in my drawings but I would rather just present varied drawings I've done throughout the quarter as a representation of my experience in Berlin. I'm going to use mixed media with an emphasis on drawing - including some photos and short video clips I've done in different areas. This way I'll be able to relate the project to Berlin itself.

I will still be doing my research primarily on the group dynamics and social surveillance that I have observed within the program, including how social discourses are created through groupthink, what effects it has on the power dynamics within the social group (thinking about tying it into Bentham's "Panopticon"/Foucault's "Panopticism" from Discipline and Punishment) . I will also discuss my perspectives on surveillance in Berlin - both socially and systematically - such as security in shopping centers (being followed), how I've felt as an outsider to Germany, and other situations I've been in where I've felt like I'm being heavily watched; I will be incorporating my individual observations that I've done around the city as my own way of surveilling the city.

More on this later...

No comments:

Post a Comment