Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Alone in Alex

This week I went to Alexanderplatz alone. I sat down on a bench across from the world clock and wrote down what I saw for about 2 hours. It's kind of an odd feeling going out by yourself. I was hyper-aware of the fact that I was alone so I kept thinking that people were looking at me and thinking to themselves, "Who is that poor girl sitting there by herself?" When really these were just my own thoughts being projected onto strangers. But I think in general, many people have a deep-seated fear of being seen in public alone.

Once I became comfortable with this poor girl, I start writing. I took notes of what was around me: 2 men and a woman sitting next to me with a 6-pack of Beck's and cigarettes called "Bodega"; A pigeon with one foot; a shopping bag that says "TAKE ME WITH YOU"; a green and pink mohawk; a red beret. 

Here's an excerpt from my notes: "The longer I write and look down at the page the more I'm missing. People watching. There's a kid being held by the arm as he cries. Mom didn't buy him what he wanted, I'm guessing. When someone stops in the middle of the constant movement they really stand out."



At one point a man collecting plastic bottles for refunds walks past me and grabs a bottle from underneath where I'm sitting. The Beck's men start to laugh. Even though it's in German, I can tell they're explaining to the woman why he is picking them up. They pick up one of their bottles, point out the label to her, and then act out the motion of putting it in the machine.

On my way back home, I saw these guys playing in the Ubahn.


They performed, but don't worry! They got permission from the Polizei first. Once they showed their papers, the Polizei stood and watched them with smiles on their faces. Classic German bureaucracy.





When you're alone it seems that you have more time to look around you and really notice things. When I'm with the group I feel like everything is slightly rushed and I don't notice as many things as I do when I force myself to sit down alone. But even though I'm alone I am still surrounded by people.

1 comment:

  1. This is nice. From now on, though, I'd like to see you really using the blog to develop in-depth stuff for your project!

    ReplyDelete